When we created Wink Frozen Desserts, we did it with the allergen-conscious, diabetic, food-restricted community in mind. We didn't start it to blend into the low-carb, ketogenic, or high-fat trend. As luck would have it, Wink fits perfectly into the current zeitgeist.
Similarly, when we created Wink Frozen Desserts, Gabe and I were not following a vegan diet, ketogenic diet, low-carb diet, or anything remotely similar. Of course, Gabe was eating gluten-free and dairy-free due to his allergies, but we didn't venture too far past that.
After years and years of experimentation with both the formula of Wink and our own personal lifestyles, we've finally found a regiment that works for us. Gabe feels like a superhuman living a low-carb, high fat lifestyle, where as I, well, I like some of my carbs.
I understand the benefits of ALL different kinds of lifestyles, so I've created kind of my own. I keep my lifestyle 100% dairy free, mainly meat-free, and slightly lower, but still including, carbs. If my body is craving oatmeal for breakfast, I'm gonna whip up some delicious, warming, comforting oatmeal. If my body is craving a banana, a banana it shall have! I've reduced, not eliminated, the amount of nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant-thank you Tom and Giselle) I eat, and have never felt better. I also removed almost all the refined sugar I eat, using stevia whenever I can. All this being said, I whipped up some INSANELY great tacos the other day!! They're vegan, gluten free, and full of good ingredients. I'm drooling just thinking about them.
- Avocado oil, or your favorite cooking oil
- 3 organic corn tortillas
- 1/2 package Beyond Meat Southwest Chicken Strips
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 cup red & green peppers
- Taco Seasoning, or just cumin & garlic powder
- Mixed greens
- Black beans (I just used canned, drained and rinsed)
- Enough garlic salt to scare away 12 vampires
- Salsa, to taste
- In a large skillet (I used a cast-iron), start to sweat the onions for about 5-7 minutes in a couple of tablespoons of avocado oil.
- Add in the peppers, saute for another 5 minutes. Can add in taco seasoning/cumin & garlic powder, if desired.
- Add 1/2 package of Beyond Meat Southwest flavored chicken strips. These have real chicken texture and flavor, all while not harming our animal friends :)
- Once everything is warmed through, turn off the heat.
- Warm up 3 corn tortillas either in a non-stick skillet or over an open flame.
- Now, make your tacos!! Pile on:
- Mixed greens/lettuce/whatever you have
- The "chicken," onions & pepper mixture
- Black beans
- Garlic Salt
- Anything else you have/desire! Tomatoes, kidney beans, anything!
Honestly... these were SO good and so filling and warmed my heart. I'm about to go make some more tacos today for lunch.