ALERT- Vegans, please avert your eyes. Die-hard Keto-eaters, please save this for a BBQ this summer! Check out the below post from ktchndad for a delicious low-carb brisket.
Keto-Friendly Smoked Brisket - The Ultimate BBQ Meat
Losing weight is not by any means easy and that is especially true in the summertime. I don’t know what it is about the summer that makes it so tricky to shed a few pounds, maybe it has something to do with the longer days and shorter nights, that give you more daylight hours to think about and find food.
Summertime is also when the coffee shops bring out their limited edition creamy, caramelly and chocolatey iced blends, that one just cannot miss out on. And don’t even get me started on the barbecues. The diet goes straight out of the window when I’m invited to a barbecue as I could gain 3 pounds just by looking at the crusty bread and fatty meat smothered in halloumi cheese.
That of course, was before I stumbled upon this keto friendly barbecued brisket recipe. You see, it is possible to enjoy some fantastically tasty barbecued meats without breaking the diet!
That is why I would love to share this recipe with you, as it will help you get some barbecue ideas for your next family gathering, and you can have a bite of everything, without having to feel guilty afterward. The best part about this keto friendly barbecued brisket recipe is that it is so tasty, your family won’t suspect a thing!
Below I have the very best keto friendly brisket recipe for you that your family will love, the clearest instructions and directions so that you can start chowing down on a tasty slab of brisket as soon as possible. Follow the instructions carefully for the best results. This recipe has been tailored to cook one 13lb slab of brisket, but you can tweak the recipe ingredients according to the size of your brisket and party.
- Smoked paprika, ground onion powder and sea salt to make up 1 cup
- 13lb brisket (with all of the excess fat cut off)
- Olive oil (enough to baste over the entire cut of brisket)
- Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees.
- Lay your 13 lb brisket on a meat preparation board and start by trimming the excess fat off of the brisket and then discard it using a meat knife or a pair of cooking scissors.
- In a small bowl mix the spices together such as the smoked paprika, the ground onion powder and the sea salt.
- Cover a food baster in oil and then wipe it over the surface of the brisket.
- Once covered in oil, use your hands to rub the spice mix into the brisket, making sure to completely cover it in spices.
- Transfer the brisket to the preheated smoker for 12-18 hours or until the rub has reached an internal temperature of 185-205 degrees.
- Allow the brisket to cool for 20 minutes before placing on a board and slicing to serve.
Keto friendly accompaniments
More often than not, it is the unhealthy side dishes at a barbecue that are difficult to resist. But if you are preparing your own barbecue, you can prepare your sides your way, so that you can enjoy every part of the meal.
Not sure what keto friendly foods to serve alongside your succulent barbecued brisket? No worries, here a list of side dishes that will really make your mouth zing with excitement:
- Cauliflower and pumpkin buttery mash
- Grilled zucchini and portobello mushroom medley
- Creamed spinach
- Avocado and egg cups with a drizzle of lemon
- Salmon pate or tuna chunks on cucumber wedges with ground pepper
As you can see, there are so many keto-friendly recipes out there for you to sample without having to feel guilty about breaking the diet. So fire up the smoker, prepare your brisket and a few tasty sides, as the diet starts - today!
Carl grew up learning how to cook from his parents as well as working in a high-volume catering operation while in college. He now enjoys spending time with his family and writing for his blog Ktchndad.