Sometimes, life calls for a chocolate cake. A really good, soft, decadent cake. A chocolate cake that reminds you of that one scene in the movie Matilda where Bruce pretty much shoves his entire face into the cake...
On such occasions, we highly recommend this delightful chocolate cake. Based on our standard cake recipe, we simply swapped 1 cup of almond flour for 1 cup of raw cacao powder, added a bit more coconut oil to increase the moisture, and added melted dark chocolate to the frosting to create a light, flavorful chocolate frosting. You can also add chocolate chips to the batter right before baking for even more chocolate flavor. Enjoy!
For the cake:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup organic cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Stevia extract powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/8th teaspoon Stevia extract powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces melted dark chocolate – we use Lindt 90% Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with coconut oil spray or your favorite non-stick spray
- In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients for the cake (the flours, cacao powder, baking soda & powder, stevia, & salt)
- In another large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients (eggs, oil, milk, & vanilla).
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir well
- Spread half the batter into each cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the cakes are cooking, make the frosting by blending all ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor. Add more almond milk if necessary.
- Once the cakes are done cooking and cooled completely, spread half the frosting on the top of one of the layers, cover with the second layer of cake, and top with the remainder of the frosting.
- Decorate with shaved chocolate and serve with a scoop of Wink!
Serving Size - 1 slice with 1 scoop of Wink. Recipe makes 16 servings
Calories - 362
Fat - 30.5g
Carbs - 15.8g
Fiber - 8.4g
Sugar - 1.8g
Protein - 10.8g