While walking around beautiful Spain, we saw this simple little cake with a powdered sugar design everywhere we went. We walked into a "trendy" cafe in Spain where they had this cake, and much to Gabe's delight, was advertised as being gluten-free and dairy free!!
Well, upon returning from Spain, we knew that we HAD to recreate the cake and make it low-carb friendly! Here we go, friends - a keto Saint James cake, brought to you straight from Europe with THREE ingredients.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure Stevia extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and coat lightly with coconut oil
- Separate the eggs and place the yolks in a large bowl. With a whisk, beat the yolks vigorously until they're fluffy and bit more pale in color
- Add in the orange or lemon zest, stevia, salt, baking soda, and almond meal until a thick paste has formed. If it's getting a bit thick, add in some of the juice from the citrus.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. If you're more put-together than I am, you'll use an electric beater for this.
- Gently fold the egg whites in to the yolk mixture, taking care not to deflate the egg whites. Make sure that there aren't any lumps of yolk remaining.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before serving with your favorite guilt-free dessert!
Serving Size: 1 slice with 1 scoop Wink. Recipe makes 8 servings/slices
Calories - 132
Fat - 8.8g
Carbs - 8.1g
Fiber - 1.6g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 7.4g