Health, food, wellness, and fitness trends come and go. It was a short 15 years ago that "fat-free" was all the rage. Now some of us are enjoying fat and shunning carbs, while others swear by eating a raw vegan diet.
It's easy to look at these wellness trends and commit to including them in your life come January 1st; until the trends change. Here are some hard-and-fast resolutions that are definitely not trendy, and will stand the test of time.
Sleep is such a beautiful thing. Not only do we need to be getting enough sleep, but we also need to be getting quality sleep. Here are some tips that we use to get as many glorious REM cycles as possible:
- Early to bed, early to rise! Start getting ready for bed at least 30 minutes before your desired bedtime.
- Keep blue light away from your eyes at least an hour before bedtime. We keep our phones in a different room overnight to avoid any kind of temptation to start scrolling Instagram.
- Get a good routine going that you do every night - have a cup of tea, take a warm bath, light some candles, read a book, write in a journal, and do anything else that helps to wind you down!
- Incorporate some next-day prep into your wind-down routine - you'd be surprised how it calms you down! Set out our workout/work clothes for the next day, prep a good breakfast (like this chia seed pudding) and lunch, get your coffeemaker set up, and make the bedroom as zen as possible. You'll sleep like a baby in no time.
Drinking more water goes hand-in-hand with getting enough sleep. The two are essential to feeling great every single day!
- Invest in a beautiful reusable water bottle that will inspire you to chug each time you see it!
- Make a big pitcher of fruit and veggie infused water! My favorite is simple cucumber & mint
This "resolution" seems vague, but it will lead to a beautiful day and life. Live with mindfulness - have a reason for everything that you do. Live with intention and awareness. Getting enough sleep and water is step 1 & 2, and once those necessities are taken care of, then attention can be focused on enjoying life and being mindful of your body.
SLOWING DOWN TO EAT
Take some time to sit down with loved ones to eat delicious meals. Cook for yourself and for them! I love taking a few minutes during the day and just eating without any kind of technology around, enjoying my food, making sure I'm drinking enough water during the meal, and generally taking a breath. We could all use a breather every now and again.
Fitness trends change, from Step classes to Aerobics to Zumba and then Crossfit being the hottest classes to take. A good resolution that is timeless is just movement! Resolving to move a little more each day will never go out of style and will always be on-trend. That's so fetch!
I personally incorporated this resolution into my life a few years ago, and it kind of stuck. Back in 2014, I was trying to figure out what to get everyone for Christmas, and I realized that we all spend so much time and energy on small physical items that, at the end of the day, do not give us nearly as much joy and pleasure as you think they would. So, instead, I decided to start gifting my loved ones experiences instead of things. Since I started, Gabe and I have gone to numerous fun sporting events, Broadway shows, ski trips, and special dinners. My mom and I have gone to tons of ballets and operas. I gift my friends things like cooking classes and at-home makeovers and spa days. It is a great resolution to make that will only result in more quality time spent with loved ones.