While we were looking at our haul of apples from the orchard, we were trying to figure out what to do with all of them. We already made some super Sundaes, but were still left with a heap of apples. Then, someone said "APPLE COBBLER."
This then started a heated debate- is it a cobbler, or is it a crisp, or is it a crumble? We've heard of "peach cobbler." Does a shoe cobbler love apple and peach cobbler? And what of the "crumble"? What is "crumbled" after all? We've made a berry crisp in the past and that was amazing. After all this back and forth, we decided to just stick with "crisp." So please enjoy this recipe for a truly delicious, NUTRITIOUS apple crisp.
- 6-8 apples (plus a good vegetable peeler)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, divided into 1/4 cup servings
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour, divided by tablespoons
- 1/2 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Peel, core and chop apples
- To apples, add the lemon, 1/4 cup of the coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon of the tapioca flour, and a sprinkle of apple pie spice. Mix and let sit
- In a separate bowl, combine the oats, almond flour, remaining coconut sugar (1/4 cup), remaining tapioca flour (2 tablespoons), sprinkle apple pie spice, and sprinkle salt. Mix well
- Add in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix well
- In a baking dish, layer the apple mixture. Evenly distribute the crisp topping over the apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until everything is warm and bubbly
- Serve immediately with a scoop of Vanilla Bean Wink
Serving size: 1/12 of total crisp + 1 scoop of Wink
Calories - 170
Carbs - 29.6g
Fiber - 4.4g
Sugar - 16.2g
Protein - 3.3g